The extraordinary Bellamy Road has taken the fast track to success.
At the races, he was a dominating stakes winner at two, and a once-in-a-lifetime runner at three. In winning the Wood Memorial (G1) by 17+lengths, he not only equaled the track record set by Hall of Fame champion Riva Ridge, he posted the highest Beyer Speed Figure ever prior to the Kentucky Derby - 120.
As a sire, Bellamy Road has traveled right the top. Sire of Wood Memorial (G1) winner Toby’s Corner ($928,240) from his first crop and the Fasig-Tipton July Sale Topping colt from his current two-year-old crop, he ranks among the top young stallions worldwide:
- Recommended by Bill Oppenheim as one of America's Value Sires
- 2014 Racing: Four main track SWs, from 4 1/2f to 8 1/2f, including Champion and Keeneland GSW SISTERLY LOVE ($431,978)
- 2014 Sales: Yearlings have sold for $195,000, $150,000, $105,000, $100,000;
2YOs in training include $340,000 OBS colt
- 2nd leading U.S. 4th crop sire by % of stakes horses from foals - 12.5% (2nd to War Front, ahead of Bernardini)
- 19 SWs (9% from foals) - six Graded SWs - 26 SHs
- Bred 436 mares his last three seasons (2011-2013) combined
- Sire of 130 registered two-year-olds of 2014
One of the hallmarks of successful sires is their ability to improve their mares’ performance. Only one-third of all sires improve their mares, and Bellamy Road is in that elite group.
Bellamy Road is a tremendous commercial success as well. His 2014 yearlings are averaging $98,571. In 2013, he sired the top-priced colt at FTK July - $420,000. Bill Oppenheim has repeatedly selected Bellamy Road as a "Value Sire."
Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito has trained hundreds of stakes horses including two Kentucky Derby winners. He said: “The two best horses I ever trained were Unbridled's Song and Bellamy Road.”