The extraordinary Bellamy Road has taken the fast track to success.
At the races, he was a dominating stakes winner at two, and a once-in-a-lifetime runner at three. In winning the Wood Memorial (G1) by 17+lengths, he not only equaled the track record set by Hall of Fame champion Riva Ridge, he posted the highest Beyer Speed Figure ever prior to the Kentucky Derby - 120.
As a sire, Bellamy Road has traveled right the top. Sire of Wood Memorial (G1) winner Toby’s Corner ($928,240) from his first crop and the Fasig-Tipton July Sale Topping colt from his current two-year-old crop, he ranks among the top young stallions worldwide:
- Recommended by Bill Oppenheim as one of America's Value Sires
- 2014 Racing: Four main track SWs, from 4 1/2f to 8 1/2f, including Champion and Keeneland GSW SISTERLY LOVE ($431,978) - 1st 2YO starter wins in Europe!
- 2014 Sales: FTK July yearlings averaged $131,667;
2YOs in training include $340,000 OBS colt
- 2013 Sales: second highest average at FTK July -$191,667
- 2nd leading U.S. 4th crop sire by % of stakes horses from foals - 12.5% (2nd to War Front, ahead of Bernardini)
- 19 SWs (9% from foals) - six Graded SWs - 26 SHs
- Bred 436 mares his last three seasons (2011-2013) combined
- Sire of 129 registered two-year-olds of 2014
One of the hallmarks of successful sires is their ability to improve their mares’ performance. Only one-third of all sires improve their mares, and Bellamy Road is in that elite group.
Bellamy Road is a tremendous commercial success as well. At the 2014 FTK July Sale, he ranks second by average among all active stallions with at least two yearlings sold. In 2013, he sired the top-priced colt at FTK July - $420,000. Bill Oppenheim has repeatedly selected Bellamy Road as a "Value Sire."
Hall of Fame trainer Nick Zito has trained hundreds of stakes horses including two Kentucky Derby winners. He said: “The two best horses I ever trained were Unbridled's Song and Bellamy Road.”