Versatile multiple Grade 1 winner of $1,779,012, Colonel John is the leading money winner at stud by Champion Sire Tiznow. And he is one of his generation's leading commercial sources, as well.
A stakes winner and Grade 1 performer every year he raced, Colonel John won five $100,000+ stakes from coast to coast, and ranked among the top members of his generation every year he raced, at two, three, and four. His first sales horses have continued the leadership trend, as he is his generation's top commercial sire by weanling average and yearling average, and among the leaders by two-year-olds in training average:
- Won $1,000,000 Travers S. (G1) at the American Classic distance of 1 ¼ miles
- Won $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (G1) with 1 1/8 miles in 1:48.16
- Set stakes record at 8 1/2f and ran 2nd in $750,000 CashCall Futurity (G1) at two; Experimental-weighted at 116
- Stakes winner at 8f on turf in 1:32 3/5 and 2nd in $350,000 Goodwood S. (G1) on all-weather at four
- Leading Freshman Sales Sire of 2012
- First two-year-olds in training are averaging $127,857
One of the few stallions to win stakes on dirt, turf and all-weather surfaces, Colonel John has bred more than 128 mares each year at stud, including 152 in 2012. TDN Insta-Tistics ranked him as America's Leading Freshman Yearling Sire of 2012, with a $95,380
. His first two-year-olds in training are averaging $127,857
, and include a $300,000
filly and $290,000
colt. They hit the nation's racetracks this season.