Versatile multiple Grade 1 winner of $1,779,012, Colonel John is the leading money winner at stud by Champion Sire Tiznow.
From his first crop, Colonel John has already sired five $100,000 stakes horses, two $100,000 stakes winners, two Grade 1 horses, and two Breeders' Cup contenders. We salute his accomplishments:
- Only stallion in his crop to sire FIVE $100,000 2yo Stakes Horses
- Kentucky's leading sophomore sire of 2014 winners
- First in his crop to sire a Graded SW and first to sire two Grade 1 performers
- 2nd Leading Sophomore Sire by 2YO average (3 or more sold) in 2014
- 2nd Leading Freshman Sire by 2YO and Yearling average in 2013
- One of the few stallions to win stakes on dirt, turf and all-weather surfaces
- Stakes record-setter at 8 1/2f & 2nd in $750,000 CashCall Futurity (G1) at 2
- Won $1,000,000 Travers S. (G1) and $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (G1) at 3
- SW at 8f on turf in 1:32.3; 2nd $350,000 Goodwood S. (G1) on all-weather at 4
Colonel John has sired five $100,000 stakes horses: Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (G1)-3rd Colonel Joan; $160,000 auction 2YO Concave (Sorrento S.-G2, 3rd Del Mar Debutante-G1, Delta Princess S.-G3); $220,000 yearling Here's Johnny ($100,000 OBS Championship S.); $250,000 yearling Thunder Run; multiple $100,000 sp Sweetsoutherndame. Expect to hear more from this corps.
Colonel John has bred at least 128 mares each year at stud, including 159 in 2013. TDN Insta-Tistics ranks him 2nd in his siring crop by 2014 juvenile sales average with at least 3 sold ($129,429, 7 sold) and by 2013 yearling average ($67,287, 54 sold), both representing excellent multiples of the bred-on-fee.