Grade 1 two-year-old by an undefeated champion two-year-old and half brother to two top class stallions, Maimonides has every license to be a sire.
A stunning physical specimen, Maimonides sold for $4,600,000 as a yearling, one of the highest prices in Thoroughbred history. He went on to what the Blood-Horse termed, "a spectacular performance" on the racetrack. Breeders then responded to his potential by sending him some of industry's top producing mares. His accomplishments include:
- Sire of the brilliant 3yo sprinter BREWING from his first crop - winner of three straight at Oaklawn, incl. back-to-back $100,000 stakes
- Sire of the exciting 2yo Gulfstream debut MdSpWt winner LAKOTA WARRIOR in his 2nd crop - gate to wire in :58.57
- 11 1/2-length Saratoga main track winner under a hand ride; "One of the more impressive debut scores of the year"--The Blood-Horse
- Grade 1 placed in the Hopeful S. (G1) in his second start
- Half-brother to Classic sire Roman Ruler (68 stakes horses)
- Half-brother to Grade 1 sire El Corredor (102 stakes horses)
- Out of a half sister to GSW Rydilluc ($486,490)
- Covered the best book of mares (3.16 CI) of any stallion standing for under $50,000 in 2012
Maimonides is by Eclipse and Breeders' Cup Champion Vindication, a near-black look-alike son of Seattle Slew, who also was undefeated and untested at two. Vindication only sired five crops before his untimely death, but they have made a significant impact, encompassing 47 stakes horses and earners of $23,000,000. Nearly half of all Vindication's stakes horses earned blacktype at two, which bodes well for the progeny by Maimonides.
Maimonides covered 148 mares his first three seasons in Florida. In 2011, he bred the best book of mares of any stallion in his siring crop (2.87 CI). In 2012, he covered the best book of mares of any stallion standing for under $50,000 (3.16 CI). In 2014, one of his sons sold for $50,000.
"I live for a horse like this."--Hall of Famer Bob Baffert