Grade 1 two-year-old by an undefeated champion two-year-old and half brother to two top class stallions, Maimonides has every license to be a sire.
A stunning physical specimen, Maimonides sold for $4,600,000 as a yearling, one of the highest prices in Thoroughbred history. He went on to what the Blood-Horse termed, "a spectacular performance" on the racetrack. Breeders then responded to his potential by sending him some of industry's top producing mares. His accomplishments include:
- 11 1/2-length Saratoga main track winner under a hand ride, called "one of the more impressive debut scores of the year" by the Blood-Horse
- Grade 1 placed in the Hopeful S. (G1) in his second start
- Half-brother to Classic sire Roman Ruler (12 SWs, 6 GSWs in 2012)
- Half-brother to multiple Grade 1 sire El Corredor ($30,700,000 in his first 8 crops)
- Out of a half sister to 2013 Classic hopeful Rydilluc (Graded SW, undefeated as a 3yo)
- Covered the best book of mares (3.16 CI) of any stallion standing for under $50,000 in 2012
Maimonides is from the first crop by Champion juvenile Vindication, a near-black look-alike son of Seattle Slew, who also was undefeated and untested at two. Vindication only sired five crops before his untimely death, but they have made a significant impact, encompassing 44 stakes horses and earners of $21,000,000 to date. Nearly half of all Vindication's stakes horses earned blacktype at two, which certainly bodes well for Maimonides.
Maimonides covered 148 mares his first three seasons in Florida. In 2011, he bred the best book of mares of any stallion in his siring crop (2.87 CI). In 2012, he covered the best book of mares of any stallion standing for under $50,000 (3.16 CI). His first two-year-olds race in 2013.
"I live for a horse like this."--Hall of Famer Bob Baffert