One of the most popular and courageous runners in racing history, Paynter retires for 2014 with every essential element to succeed as a sire.
The Grade 1-winning millionaire first dazzled the racing world with his racetrack brilliance from 5 1/2 furlongs to 1 1/2 miles; then, he captivated the general public with his tenacious will to live. A roster of his accomplishments includes:
- Dominant winner of the $1,000,000 Haskell Invitational (G1) in fast time - 1:48 4/5
- Second by a neck in the Classic $1,000,000 Belmont S. (G1) after setting the pace through one of the fastest opening quarters in 20 years - :23 3/5
- Sped the best Ragozin Numbers of any 3YO in his crop - 1-1/2, 2-1/4, 2-1/2
- Fastest son of sire of sires & top classic influence AWESOME AGAIN since Ghostzapper
- Arguably the fastest 3yo from a vintage crop: 107 Beyer & 1-1/2 Ragozin
- Best Beyer Speed Figure of 2013 Under a Mile at 4 - 114
- Best two Beyer Speed Figures at 8 1/2 furlongs for any 3-year-old his year
- Won his career debut going away on dirt at Santa Anita - 5 1/2f in 1:02.98: Won his synthetic track debut at Hollywood - 7f in 1:21.86
- First or 2nd eight times in 10 starts, including Grade 1's coast to coast
- Winner NTRA Moment of the Year and Secretariat Vox Populi Award
- Excellent sire's family: Dam is a full sister to TIZNOW
From top to bottom, Paynter was bred to be a sire. He is by elite sire Awesome Again (sire of 14 G1 stakes winners), and he has a very similar breeding cross as Awesome Again's best son, Ghostzapper (37 SWs in 1st 5 crops).
Paynter's dam is a full sister to Champion Sire Tiznow (49 SWs, 11 G1 SWs), and an outcross within 4 generations (closest inbreeding 4x5x5 Northern Dancer).