Kentucky Derby (G1) Champion Super Saver is a millionaire Classic winner, by a two-time Derby sire, and from one of the industry’s great sire’s families.
Precocious as well as Classic, Super Saver is off to a Super Start at stud. America's Leading Freshman Sire for most of the season, no less an observer than Bill Oppenheim says, "the market looks like it's got it right in Super Saver's case." His accomplishments include:
- Far and away, the Leading Freshman Sire of 2014
- Already, SIX stakes horses, incl. the Exacta in the Hopeful (G1)
- FOUR Super-impressive SWs: Undefeated Hopeful (G1) winner COMPETITIVE EDGE ($675,000 2yo); Saratoga Special (G2) winner I SPENT IT ($600,000 2yo); $100,000 SW/G3 sp HASHTAG BOURBON; 5 1/2-length SW LIL SUPER BEAR
- Also: $150,000 BEL sp Market Conduct; $150,000 BEL sp My Super Nova
- Sired #1 2YO colt ($750,000) & 2YO filly ($675,000) by a freshman sire
- $122,011 ylg avg. in 2014 (47 sold) - $148,031 two-year-olds avg. (49 sold)
- Won the Kentucky Derby (G1) by 2 1/2 lengths - Set a stakes record in the Kentucky Jockey Club S. (G2) at two
- Weighted at 122 on the Experimental Free Handicap
Super Saver is out of a full sister to the dam of top young sire Bluegrass Cat, and from the immediate family of superior sires Private Account, Mutakddim, and Not For Love. His yearling half-brother by Medaglia d'Oro sold for $1,700,000. Super Saver is a direct descendant of *La Troienne, replete with seven lines of the Foundation mare. He covered 154 mares in 2014.
Super Saver has excelled at the sales. In 2014, his yearlings are averaging 6 times the stud fee, while his juveniles averaged 7 1/2 times the fee. Individuals have sold for $750,000, $675,000, $600,000, $575,000, $525,000, $400,000, $360,000, $340,000, $325,000, $320,000, $260,000, $250,000.
"As precocious as they are proving, a lot of the Super Savers look like two-turn horses."--Bill Oppenheim, August 2014