Kentucky Derby (G1) Champion Super Saver is a millionaire Classic winner, by a two-time Derby sire, and from one of the industry’s great sire’s families.
Precocious as well as Classic, Super Saver is off to a Super Start at stud, both at the sales and on the track. Through the end of September, he remained America's Leading Freshman. No less an observer than Bill Oppenheim says, "the market looks like it's got it right in Super Saver's case." His accomplishments include:
- Far and away, the Leading Freshman Sire of 2014
- Sire of FIVE first-crop stakes horses, incl. the Exacta in the Hopeful (G1)
- Sired two of the top 3 juvenile colts on Watchmaker Watch
- THREE Super-impressive SWs, incl.: Undefeated Hopeful (G1) winner COMPETITIVE EDGE ($675,000 2yo); Saratoga Special (G2) winner I SPENT IT ($600,000 2yo); $100,000 SW HASHTAG BOURBON
- EIGHT winners overall, incl.: Belmont $150,000 sp Market Conduct; Belmont $150,000 sp My Super Nova
- Sired #1 2YO colt ($750,000) & 2YO filly ($675,000) by a freshman sire
- $123,467 yearling average in 2014 - $148,031 two-year-olds average (49 sold)
- Won $2,000,000 Kentucky Derby (G1) by 2 1/2 lengths; Set a new stakes record in Kentucky Jockey Club S. (G2) at two
- Experimental-weighted at 122 - World TB Rating 120.
Super Saver has excelled at the sales. In 2014, his yearlings are averaging over 6 times the stud fee, while his juveniles averaged 7 1/2 times the fee. Individuals have sold for $750,000, $675,000, $600,000, $575,000, $525,000, $400,000, $360,000, $340,000, $325,000, $320,000, $260,000, $250,000.
Super Saver is out of a full sister to the dam of top young sire Bluegrass Cat, and from the immediate family of superior sires Private Account, Mutakddim, and Not For Love. His yearling half-brother by Medaglia d'Oro sold for $1,700,000. Super Saver is a direct descendant of *La Troienne, replete with seven lines of the Foundation mare.
"As precocious as they are proving, a lot of the Super Savers look like two-turn horses."--Bill Oppenheim, August 2014