Kentucky Derby (G1) Champion Super Saver is a millionaire Classic winner, by a two-time Derby sire, and from one of the industry’s great sire’s families.
Precocious as well as Classic, Super Saver is off to a Super Start at stud, both at the sales and on the track. Through the second weekend of August, he was America's Leading Freshman Sire. And no less an observer than Bill Oppenheim says, "the market looks like it's got it right in Super Saver's case." His accomplishments include:
- Far and away the Leading Freshman Sire - $562,083
- The highest juvenile Beyer Speed Figures on dirt this year by a colt and filly
- Super-impressive winners: Undefeated Saratoga Special (G2) winner I SPENT IT ($600,000 2yo); $100,000 SW HASHTAG BOURBON; $675,000 2yo & TDN Rising Star COMPETITIVE EDGE (Saratoga MdSpWt by 10 1/4 in debut); $750,000 2yo HIGH DOLLAR WOMAN; SAVE ROCK AND ROLL (Saratoga MdSpWt in debut); MARKET CONDUCT (Saratoga MdSpWt in debut)
- Sire of the #1 two-year-old colt of 2014 by a freshman sire - $750,000
- Sire of the #1 two-year-old filly of 2014 by a freshman sire - $675,000
- Sire of the #1 two-year-old by a freshman sire at OBS April - $525,000
- $165,400 yearling average in 2014;
$148,031 two-year-olds average in 2014 (49 sold)
- $100,803 yearling average in 2013 (65 sold)
- Won $2,000,000 Kentucky Derby (G1) by 2 1/2 lengths over 11 other G1 SWs
- Set a new stakes record in Kentucky Jockey Club S. (G2) at two
- Broke his maiden by seven at Belmont
- 2nd by inches in the $1,000,000 Arkansas Derby (G1)
- Experimental-weighted at 122 - World TB Rating 120.
Super Saver has excelled at the sales. In 2014, his yearlings are averaging over 8 times the fee, while his juveniles averaged 7 1/2 times the fee. Individuals have sold for $750,000, $675,000, $600,000, $525,000, $400,000, $360,000, $325,000, $320,000, $250,000, $240,000, $230,000.
Super Saver is out of a full sister to the dam of top young sire Bluegrass Cat, and from the immediate family of superior sires Private Account, Mutakddim, and Not For Love. His yearling half-brother by Medaglia d'Oro sold in 2013 for $1,700,000. Super Saver is a direct descendant of *La Troienne, replete with seven lines of the Foundation mare.
"As precocious as they are proving, a lot of the Super Savers look like two-turn horses."--Bill Oppenheim, August 2014