- Won the Kentucky Derby [G1] by 2 ¾ lengths as the favorite in his first start over an off track [WATCH RACE]
- Won the sire-making Florida Derby [G1] by 5 lengths in the fastest time of the race since ALYDAR in 1978: 1:47.47—faster than leading stallions Quality Road, Scat Daddy, Empire Maker, etc. Less than ¾ of a second off of Arrogate's track record
- Multi-millionaire—retired with over $2.4 million in earnings
- Broke his maiden by an eye-popping 11 ½ lengths in his 3-year-old debut
- $350,000 Keeneland September Book 1 yearling, purchased by leading bloodstock agent Steven Young
- Out of the tough and lightning fast G1-placed ABOVE PERFECTION, by In Excess (IRE)
- Half-brother to Spinaway S. [G1] winner HOT DIXIE CHICK, already the dam of a multiple stakes winner, and Demoiselle S. [G2] winner and $1.5 million broodmare prospect POSITIVE SPIRIT
- Complete outcross in his first four generations
- Supported by top breeders in his first two books—first yearlings in 2021
Always Dreaming has every chance to continue his remarkable sire line. His sire Bodemeister is by the breed-shaping Empire Maker, sire of more than 100 stakes horses and the earners of over $109 million.
Always Dreaming was well-regarded well before his racing career, selling for $350,000 at the 2015 Keeneland September Yearling sale. Joining the Todd Pletcher barn late in his 2-year-old season, he burst on the 3-year-old scene in January with an eye-popping 11 1/2-length maiden win, the easily captured a Gulfstream Park allowance. Facing stakes company for the first time in the Florida Derby [G1], the dark bay colt turned in a scintillating performance, winning by five lengths in 1:47 2/5, the fastest time since Alydar in 1978.
His incredible Spring culminated with a 2 3/4-length win in the Kentucky Derby [G1] in his first start over an off track.
"Always Dreaming has all three things we look for: Looks; he was a $350,000 yearling; Pedigree; he is out of a fast, grade 1-level race mare and is a half to a grade 1 winner; and Performance; he's a brilliantly fast winner of two prestigious grade 1 races"
- WinStar president/CEO Elliott Walden
"When you look at what he's done this year, to win his first two races by open lengths and to win the Florida Derby and Kentucky Derby by the margins he did, it's pretty rare that you see that."
- trainer Todd Pletcher